OK, Edgehill was planned, done and played. Some celebration and a few days of rest later I want to announce the start of the planning for the next goal.
It´s going to be 1st Newbury. Why? This battle is another half mapper, see the picture above. It also has relatively few troops. It´s also a favorite of mine, an exciting and balanced battle. The scenario has free setup which I usually enjoy. The players set up their troops (within limits) how they like and hidden from each other. This makes setup into a game of itself.
To play 1st Newbury I need:
- 10 double hex heavy infantry brigades. (I have 11 so this is already done)
- 2 single hex heavy infantry units. (Easy to do, I have the figs but unpainted.)
- 29 units of cavalry. (I have 20, so 9 left. Not bad at all.)
- Light infantry: 2 dragoons (check), 3 musketeers (check) and 3 large units of musketeers (have 1, need 2 more)
- Artillery: 2 culverins, 4 sakers, 4 falcons. I have ordered some Siege guns from Baccus to paint up as the heavy culverins. The other guns I have already.
- The hill that covers a large part of the battle field. This need to be modeled somehow. I´m thinking about several options at the moment, which I will get back to shortly.
- The many hexes of hedge lined road. I did a long straight section for Edgehill, but this will be much more challenging.
- Woods, villages, houses, Roman burial mounds and a river....